A woman who fell over in stilettos on a night out has won £18,000 in compensation. Selena Gilder, who had been drinking, broke a leg outside a pub when her heel became caught in a crack in the ground.
The 40-year-old took legal action against the pub's insurers, who settled out of court. Miss Gilder was on a girls' night out with four friends in October 2007 when the accident happened.
She had gone into the courtyard of The Albion pub in Tewkesbury, Gloucestershire, to smoke when her three-inch heel became stuck in a gap in some concrete.
Yes, a bona fide dickhead. We smokers would tend to agree. And why not when the abandonment of personal responsibility as a general rule of life is more than partly a contributory factor for the lack of sanity involved in smoking bans.
The one accusation you cannot possibly level at this annoying berk is that she 'chose' to be outside with her cigarette. But check the comments appended to the article for those who do.
Isn't it odd that the idea of freedom of choice only comes into play as a stick to beat smokers, and only when it suits a completely different argument.
Were those applying such logic advocating personal responsibility and self-determination before the government took away any such option with a law which wasn't democratically tested? What do you reckon?